Our Favorite Frosted Sugar Cookies
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups butter or margarine, softened
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon water
Sprinkles for decoration
Cookies – Makes about 2 dozen
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar and butter or margarine and beat with an electric mixer until creamy, about 3 minutes
3. Add eggs, one at a time, blending after each addition
4. Add vanilla, mix well.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt
6. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, one cup at a time; blend until all the flour mixture is incorporated
7. Scoop into 1-inch balls, and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the bottoms turn light brown
9. Let stand for 5 minutes before removing to cool onto a wire rack.
10. Frost when completely cooled.
1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy
2. Add cream of tartar
3. Add sugar, one cup at a time; blend until fully incorporated
4. Add extract and water, mixing until combined
5. Whip frosting at high speed for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy
6. Decorate your frosted cookies with colored sprinkles.