Robinson Home Products Inc. was founded as Robinson Knife in 1921 by George Robinson and W. R. Case. Robinson, an English cutlery maker and Case, a manufacturer of a variety of knives, scissors and straight razors formed the foundation of a business that has become a leader in the wholesale distribution of housewares.
In 1927, Robinson consolidated three factories in Pennsylvania and Southwestern New York, into one larger facility in Springville, New York, outside of Buffalo. A short time later, Case sent David Skerker to work for Robinson and eventually sold his stake in the company to Robinson and Skerker.
During the late 1940s, Robinson expanded its product offering to include new products such as kitchen tools. Two decade later, in 1965, General Electric Co. approached Robinson to manufacture blades for its soon to be introduced electric knife. Later Robinson would make blades for virtually every electric appliance company in the US and Europe.
In 1980, the Company expanded its facilities again by adding additional 40,000 square feet of warehousing space. During the same year, Robinson began manufacturing food processor blades for appliance companies and opened its plastic injection molding department.
Manufacturing continued to be the main focus of the business until the mid-1980s, when Robinson acquired California based Chef Major Limited. This gave the Company importing capabilities and changed the landscape at Robinson greatly, moving it away from manufacturing completely.
The first product focus of the company, once importing was in full swing, was private label home brands. However, this changed during the early 1990s when Robinson began licensing well recognized brand names such as Pyrex and Oneida.
In 1993, the manufacturing arm of Robinson Knife was sold and the primary business objective became the licensing and distribution of brand name products. A facility was acquired in Buffalo, New York to handle distribution of these brands. A year later, the Company's offices were moved from Springville to Buffalo and a new foundation was established for the Company.
As Robinson grew over the next decade it became apparent that even more changes were needed to encourage more growth opportunities. In 2005, Robinson Knife officially changed its name to Robinson Home Products Inc. This new moniker better reflected the diverse product mix of the Company and clarified its position in the marketplace.
In 2006, with a surge in product offerings and sales, the Company acquired a secondary warehousing facility in Buffalo to help meet increasing demand. During the same year, the third generation owners of Robinson, the Skerker Family, sold the company to their employees by forming an ESOP. On June 23, 2006 Robinson Home Products Inc. became an employee owned company which ended over 80 years of service that the Skerker family had provided to Robinson.
In 2009, the next chapter of Robinson's growth was established when the company entered into a long-term licensing agreement for the Oneida tabletop business. As part of this agreement, Robinson also acquired office and showroom space in New York City. This deal further expanded Robinson’s product and brand portfolio, and solidified its position as a leader in housewares and tabletop design, development, and marketing for both its licensed and owned brands.